Sunday, January 9, 2011

UFC QUOTABLES: Next challenger Anthony Pettis picks Frankie Edgar over Gray Maynard at UFC 125

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

Anthony_Pettis_9.jpeg
"I think Frankie Edgar's going to walk out with that belt. Everybody's been asking me this, this is the first time I've really said I think Frankie Edgar's going to walk out with it. It's just one of those things, he beat B.J. Penn twice, his confidence is crazy high, he's looking better every fight, and he has a loss he wants to avenge... Every fight I go into I'm the underdog, I love it. Nobody still knows what I can do, there's so much that I can do that the world hasn't seen. Just because these guys have been fighting in the UFC and the big stage, that doesn't mean they?re better than us, or they have better experience than us."

-Anthony Pettis talks to MMAWeekly.com and gives his pick for tonight's UFC 125 main event as well as being a perennial underdog.

Penick's Analysis: I agree with everything Pettis said on tonight's fight, and think Edgar's going to show once again why he is the best lightweight fighter in the world right now. His wins over B.J. Penn, especially the rematch, are no fluke, and though Maynard holds a win over him already he's come a long, long way since their first meeting. As for being his other comments, the only one I disagree with is the experience factor. The level of competition in the UFC is a higher one than that of the WEC, but that doesn't mean Pettis and a few of the others making the move into the UFC can't compete in the 155 lb. division. Pettis against either Edgar or Maynard is going to make for a good title fight in 2011, and though he's leapfrogging some more qualified competitors for this shot, I'm still going to be very much excited for the fight when it gets put together.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_8002.shtml

Rashad Evans Quinton Jackson Lyoto Machida Forrest Griffin

No comments:

Post a Comment