Monday, December 20, 2010

UFC 124 PREVIEW: Georges St. Pierre says Josh Koscheck will need to reconsider career when he beats him on Saturday

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

GSP_TB150_4.jpg
This article was originally published on Friday, December 10

Georges St. Pierre is one of the best fighters on the planet. The reigning UFC Welterweight Champion has dispatched of every fighter put in front of him, avenging the only losses he's suffered along the way. But it's not enough for him to simply be one of the best fighters in 2010; no, St. Pierre's desire and drive is to be considered the best fighter of all time.

Heading into his UFC 124 showdown with Josh Koscheck, a very impassioned Champion talked about that drive and why he is in this game to begin with.

"I'm doing this job because I wanted to be the best," St. Pierre said at Thursday's pre-fight press conference. "I don't want to be number two, I want to be number one. I've always been like this in my life. And I don't only want to be number one, I want to be the greatest.

"That's my main goal; when I do something I want to be the best of the best."

St. Pierre wholly expects to defeat Koscheck on Saturday night in front of a raucous hometown crowd at Montreal's Bell Centre. And when he does, St. Pierre says, it's going to be the end of their feud and Koscheck will need to reconsider what he wants to do with his career.

"So now I'm fighting Josh Koscheck," St. Pierre said. "I've fought him before, and people say 'oh, the pressure is on you, you're in Montreal.' It's true I'm in Montreal, but I'm at my best when I'm fighting in my hometown. But also if I win against Josh Koscheck, when I'm gonna beat him, that's going to be the end of it.

"It's going to be two times that I've beat him, and if he has the same mentality as me Josh Koscheck is going to have to reconsider his career. Because if he wants to be the best, he's going to lose two times to me and it's going to take a long time again before he [fights] for the title or maybe never again."

With all of the trash talking that has come into play for this fight, and the lengthy anticipation for the bout with a full season of The Ultimate Fighter to film and watch through before getting to this fight, St. Pierre is eager to get the bout over with and move on with his already legendary career.

"He's going to have to climb up the ladder a long time," St. Pierre said. "I'm going to beat him Saturday night, and it's going to be the end of it. I'm not going to talk about him for a long, long time, and I'm going to feel very happy."

[Georges St. Pierre art by Cory Gould (c) MMATorch.com]

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_7796.shtml

Jon Jones Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Muhammed Lawal Rafael Cavalcante

No comments:

Post a Comment