Friday, December 24, 2010

UFC QUOTABLES: Joseph Benavidez talks his destruction of black belts, wants to make UFC debut in March

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

LogoUFC_150_682.jpg
"My last four wins have been against black belts. It's cool cause even though I've been matched up with black belts my last four fights, my last four wins, looking back basically I've demolished anyone that's not named Dominick Cruz, that doesn't like run around from me. So I just beat them and they just happened to be black belts... I'm going to ask to travel and fight on one of these international shows, just to get the experience. I'm hoping for March. March is a good month for me, it's a lucky month for me. That's when I fought Miguel Torres last year, and I believe there's also three shows in March so I?m really hoping to get on one of those."

-Bantamweight contender Joseph Benavidez talks to MMAWeekly about his recent victories and wanting to make his UFC debut in March.

Penick's Analysis: Benavidez is entering the UFC in a tough spot. Having been beaten twice by current Champ Dominick Cruz, even though their title bout was a razor thin split decision, he doesn't have much further up the ladder that he can climb. He won't be getting another shot anytime soon, and if Urijah Faber can find a way to beat Cruz again - provided he's the next one to get the shot - Benavidez won't be fighting him either as they're close teammates. He's one of the best in the world at 135 lb., and yet he may be better suited for the flyweight division right now. If the UFC kick-starts that in 2011, he'll be at the top of the list for taking over that division in the UFC. But for now, he's likely going to keep taking tough fights, and likely winning, until the division gets sorted out further.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_7925.shtml

Dana White Joe Rogan Mike Goldberg Joe Silva

No comments:

Post a Comment